Sunday, January 23, 2011

Finally! The secret to weight loss!!!

It's been right under our nose the entire time.  I wish it were a pill or something you could take to make it easier for everyone to lose weight.  What is the secret to weight loss?  It's simple math/physics:  How much you eat (yes, calories no matter what kind) - How much you burn off (activity) = How big you are.  Of course some people have metabolic issues which changes this equation but that's not true for most people.  I know you've heard that what type of calorie makes a different and you should cut out fats blah blah blah.  Well there is some truth to it but a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and it takes the same amount of energy to burn one calorie no matter what type of food you got it from.  Now, you will feel fuller with certain types of food than others, some foods are more nutritious, and if you choose your food wisely you can eat a lot throughout the day and not exceed your calorie goal.

Weight Watchers does a very good job of teaching you portion size along with their points system you can really eat what you want.  It helps you to realize that some foods come with a trade off.  You spend all your points on one serving of ice cream (or whatever is your weakness) then you have little if any points left throughout the day for other food.  You get hungry and you probably get a sugar crash from the ice cream as well.

Now anyone who knows me knows I am not one to deprive myself of what I want to eat.  I believe you should eat the foods you want, you just have to figure out how to do it in moderation and realize that if you do splurge it's going to cost you.  I do eat fairly healthy, I like the way I feel when I do and I have the energy to exercise or do the activities I enjoy throughout the week.  I do eat ice cream, desserts and other not so great things every now and then.  I enjoy them when I do, don't beat yourself up over it.  My husband loves to read me the calories and nutrition info on some things when I do eat badly.  I tell him to stop reading because I'm  going to eat it and I'm going to enjoy it.  I'm healthy, not overweight and have no cholesterol or blood pressure issues.  I do try not to over do, if you can manage it, everything is find in moderation.

I know I can't have sweets, ice cream and other similar foods in the house.  It calls to me and I will snack on it without even thinking.  By not having it in the house I don't feel like I'm denying myself because most of the time I'm not craving it but if I see it I'll munch on it.  It's there, it's easy and usually no preparation is needed.  You have to figure out what works for you.  I have friends that can keep all the junk food in the world in their house and they never touch it.  Everyone is different.

I will tell you the minute someone or some diet tells me I can't have something, I want it.  I know, I sound like a kid, but it's true.  I find if I deny myself something then it builds until I eventually just gorge on it.  So if I want something I'll have a small amount of it and not every day.

The other main thing for me is to eat all day long.  If I don't snack I get hungry and if I get hungry I eat everything in site in large quantities.  So I eat a fairly big breakfast and then three hours later I have a snack, 2-3 hours later lunch, about 3 hours later another snack and then dinner.  Breakfast is probably my biggest meal.  I love breakfast.  Occasionally dinner will be big too, depends if we go out or what we are doing.

I eat out a lot too, you just have to make smart choices and I often take home half my meal.  Don't be afraid to ask for spray instead of butter, dry toast, whatever you want to make it healthier.  A little goes a long way in cutting calories in restaurant food.

Ok, how active are you?  I'll address this in my next entry.  It all goes together. 

Enjoy your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment