Saturday, August 6, 2011

Life after surgery gets better and better

Today I was supposed to compete in a sprint triathlon.  I'm actually training for a half ironman in October and this would have been a training race.  Monday I ate something bad and got salmonella poisoning.  Talk about bad timing!  So I've been curled up in a ball praying to not throw up or praying to throw up, you are very conflicted when your stomach hurts that bad.  So not only no training this week but I had to miss my first race of the year, in my back yard no less, with all my friends.  :(  Oh well, such is life, not the end of the world.  Actually as I type this they should be finishing up, can't wait to hear how everyone did.  Monday I'll be back to training, although I probably won't be quite as strong as the week before but at least I'll get back to it.

Since my hip surgery last year I've gotten stronger and stronger.  My hips now support me and that's huge.  You may not realize how much your hips do for you in almost every movement.  I'm back running, while not super fast, faster than I was even 2 years before my surgery.  My biking is getting better too.  I look at my bike times from races before surgery and after and can see improvements, very satisfying.

At the moment my plan is to do an Olympic tri in Sept (part of my training) and then the half ironman in October.  Then for fun another Olympic tri in Key West the first week of December.  Ironically the Key West tri was my big goal for the year.  I wanted to complete an Olympic tri this year and how can you beat one in Key West?  I have a lot of people signed up to do it with me so how could it not be fun?  Then one of my friends kind of talked me into the half ironman in October.  What the heck, I have time this year to train (it is a commitment of time) and I have some really great people to train with this year as well.  So, I signed up and immediately had anxiety attacks.

What was thinking!?!  I know I can do the swim, 1.2 miles.  I swim with the local master's 3-4 days a week and swim in the ocean at least 1-2 times a week.  To me that's the easiest part, but it's also the shortest part of the race.  The bike is 56 miles and I was worried my neck couldn't handle it.  I have arthritis in my left shoulder and my neck will stiffen up on the bike ride and spasm.  But with some minor changes to my bike I'm confident that I can do 56 miles without a problem.  Much thanks to Matt and Julie from On Your Mark Performance Center in North Palm Beach, Florida.  The run is a whole other matter.

I have NEVER liked running, in fact disliked intensely is probably appropriate to how I feel about running.  I really only started running because I wanted to complete a triathlon years ago.  I've come to enjoy certain aspects of running.  I do love running at sunrise along the beach where I live.  It's beautiful to watch the sunrise and you never know what your are going to see, from baby turtles hatching, amazing shells and sharks in the surf.  When we travel I've found the most amazing trails to run all around the world.  It's much easier to run when traveling than find a place to swim.

But to run for running's sake I have to do mental gymnastics to get me through it and I have to run 13.2 miles after I swim and bike.  Yea, gonna love it!  I can do it, I know I can!  But then I may hang up my running shoes except for shorter races.  I would love it if I could compete in Aquadu's, just the swim and bike.  There are a few out there but not many.

Life is what you make of it, no matter what adversity's you may encounter.  I see people all the time on the news that have far worse problems than mine and have not only a great attitude but help others.  Why would you want to be more of a burden to people you love by having a bad attitude or being unpleasant to be around.  Some things you can't change, deal with it, figure out how to move on around it.  Whatever that may be.  Life can be good, it is good, enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment