Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The race is just a side effect.




11/3/15        Tuesday         The Race is Just a Side Effect
All the long hours of training are done.  I do love taper, I actually have time and energy in the day to do other things :)
I’ve made new friends, got to know some friends better and enjoyed my old friends as well.  It’s been one heck of an adventure.  We leave tomorrow morning, bright and early for the 8-9 hour drive to Panama City Beach.
Lots of time, money and planning have gone into this race.  It’s not just a commitment for the athlete but their family as well.  You even have to sacrifice some time with your friends because of training or lack of time in general.  The reason I signed up wasn’t just for the sense of accomplishment, although if you can complete an Ironman you can do anything, right?  That is pretty powerful in itself.  The main reason is because of the triathlete community and how incredibly supportive they are (and fun). 
Every person has his or her own individual story.  Whether they finish on the podium or they are the last one in.  It’s indescribable to complete something you never thought you could.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a 5k race or a full Ironman.  You did it.  I often say that this sport/training is my sanity.  Life throws things at you that aren’t always pleasant.  The training, the people and the support help me get through when things are tough.  It’s not that I even have to talk about problems, but it somehow helps put things in perspective and you can usually go on a deal with issues in a more positive way.
I’ve so enjoyed ever part of the journey, every training mile and every new milestone.  But most of all I’ve enjoyed the people.  Our master’s swim coach made everyone Ironman Wahoo shirts for the race.  A local church had a special blessing for all of us competing in the Ironman Florida race.  That was pretty special.  I really feel like I have my bases covered now.  So many people have told me good luck, many of these people I don’t even know, but they wish us the best.
The closer I get to the race the bigger smile I have.  I’ve enjoyed this so much; the race is just the side effect.  I’ve done the work.  I will do this.   I will finish this race.  My run will be extremely social and I bet my cheeks will hurt from smiling so much.  Whatever the conditions are I will deal with it.
Shelley has offered her van and Isabela and Gillis have let us borrow their nice 4 bike rack.  Shelley and I are driving up with Krissy and Jeraine.  (I hope Krissi can make it, she had a last minute work issue and may have to work tomorrow morning, it would not be the same without her driving up with us.) 
It will be a fun drive up with the girls.  I’m looking forward to it and all that will follow through the drive home Sunday. 
I can’t believe the race is here, this year has flown by.  See you on the other side :)

1 comment: